Creative, experienced, and passionate art educator, leader, and learner seeks opportunities to collaborate with colleagues across disciplines and divisions in order to nurture students of all abilities to engage in artistic behavior.
- B.S. Summa Cum Laude. Art Education. State University of New York, New Paltz. 2009
- M.S. Cum Laude. Elementary Education. Mercy College. Dobbs Ferry, NY 2005
- B.A. Sociology. Bard College, NY 2003
Visual Arts Department Head, Friends Academy. Locust Valley, NY. 2012-present
Responsible for overall vision, direction, and implementation of PreK-12th grade visual arts curriculum for 776 students.
- Co-create, deliver, and assess vertical curriculum that emphasizes artistic process, creative problem solving, and reflection.
- Created AP Art History course and a collaborative, cross-divisional Art and Community Course for High School and Lower School students
- Collaborate with History Department to implement interdisciplinary projects and to give guest art history lectures
- Arrange for visiting artists to provide demonstrations, give talks, and lead special workshops
- Lead bi-weekly department meetings with all visual arts colleagues to share best practices and plan for department-wide collaborations
- Budget, manage, purchase and inventory supplies for four visual art department budgets
- Member of Equity and Diversity Committee: Contributor to Friends Academy’s Vision 2020: Strategic Plan for Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Co-leader for school-wide Peace Week Planning Committee
- Founding member of Global Studies Scholars Initiative Program
- Chaperone and co-leader on two international curricular trips: “Global Studies Scholar: El Salvador” and “Global Studies Scholar: Visual Response to Ireland”
- Advisor on the 12th grade team and Advisor to the Sexuality and Gender Awareness Club
- Served on NYSAIS Accreditation Committee
Visual Art Teacher, Trillium Charter School. Portland, Oregon. 2010-2012
- Created, taught,and assessed visual art curriculum for 400 students at a K-12 democratic charter school
- Arranged for visiting artists to collaborate with students
- Created and supervised after-school art program
- Collaborated with classroom teachers on interdisciplinary arts integration projects
Teaching Artist, Show-Tell Workshop for Teen Writers and Artists. Marylhurst University. Portland, Oregon. 2012
- Created and taught workshops for teen summer program: Installation, Music Scores, Drawing/Sculpture.
Education Intern. Art21. New York, NY. 2009
- Coordinated inaugural Art21 Educators professional development program
- Coordinated Education & Public Programs Advisory Council meeting.
- Assisted in editing educational materials
Aesthetic Education Intern. Hudson Connections. New Paltz, NY. 2008-2009
- Designed and implemented a series of art lessons for a 2nd grade ESL classroom
Teaching Artist. The Arts Alliance of the Lower Hudson Valley. Newburgh, NY. 2008-2009
- Created and implemented art lessons for free neighborhood arts program for children of all ages and abilities
Director of Activities Program. Embassy C.E.S. New York, NY 2006-2007
- Developed and implemented weekly activities program for 900 international students
- Maintained and managed budget for activities program
- Collaborated with ESL teachers to implement educational field trips.
Special Education Teacher. M.S. 45 Thomas C. Giordano Middle School. Bronx, NY. 2003-2005
- Researched, created, implemented, and assessed integrated units for English and Social Studies for an inclusion classroom of 30 students
- Adapted lessons for Special Education students
- Co-led school-wide chess club
Learning: Professional Residencies/ Conferences/ Training/ Workshops
- NAIS People of Color Conference. Anaheim, C.A.
- Silk-screening Workshop. Shoestring Press. Brooklyn, NY
- Educator Workshop: Josef Albers in Mexico. Guggenheim Museum, NY.
- The Brooklyn Conference: Inspiring Social Change. Brooklyn Museum, N.Y.
- ·A Social Justice Saturday: Leading in Troubled Times. Teacher’s College. New York.
- Acrylic Painting Bootcamp. Arts Student League. New York, NY
- Educator Event: Picturing the World. Metropolitan Museum of Art. New York, NY.
- Interschool Leadership Institute. New York, NY.
- Beyond Tolerance Conference for LGBTQ Youth and Educators. City-As-School. N.Y.
- Diversity Education and Justice in the Curriculum. Brooklyn Friends, NY.
- NYSAIS Mindfulness Practices for Better Classroom Leaning. New York, NY
- National Art Educators Association Conference. New York, NY
- NAIS People of Color Conference. Atlanta, Georgia.
- NYSAIS Department Chair Conference. Mohonk, NY
- AP Summer Institute: Art History. School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
- Nemnet Diversity Recruitment and Retention Workshop. Friends Academy, N.Y.
- LGBT Educators Group: Queering Schools on Intersectionality: Panel Event. Brearley, NY
AP Art History. Savannah College of Art and Design. Atlanta, Georgia
- Artistic Residency. Jiwar. Barcelona, Spain
- Independent School Art Instructors Association Conference. New York, N.Y.
- NYSAIS Department Chair Conference. Mohonk, NY
- Solar Plate Etching Workshop. Manhattan Graphics Center. New York, NY
- Art Workout: Empathy and the Figure. Art Students League. New York, NY
- Art Workout: Drawing at the Speed of Thought. Art Students League. New York, NY
- Artistic Residency. Kunstlerhaus Worpswede. Worpswede, Germany
- Basic Course in Non-Violent Conflict Resolution. Alternatives to Violence Project. El Salvador
- Open Engagement: Life Work. Queens Museum. New York
- Educators New to Quakerism Workshop. Pendle Hill, PA
- National Art Educators Association Conference. Fort Worth, TX
- Open Engagement: Economies, Politics, Education, Representation. Portland, OR.
- Advanced Placement Institute: AP Studio Art. Seattle, WA
- Darkroom Photography Bootcamp. Portland, OR
- Fulbright Fellow. Curriculum Development Project Integrating Visual Arts and Social Science in South Africa and Lesotho
- Northwest Conference on Social Justice: Rethinking Our Classrooms, Organizing for Better Schools. Madison High School. Portland, OR.
- 7th Annual Alternative Education Resource Organization Conference. Albany, NY.
- Presenter, National Art Education Association Conference. Minneapolis, MN.
Beginning Spanish, Intermediate Mandarin
Graphic Design: Adobe Programs: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop
Painting & Drawing
Printmaking Photography: digital and darkroom
Sculpture: plaster mold making, basic woodworking, basic ceramics